Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23, 2007 - Funding Drive Show

CJSW is in the midst of our annual funding drive so this show was a little different than usual. Essentially much more talk, much less music. I was lucky to be joined by three other CJSW programmers today: the infamous Chef Wayne (South Louisiana Gumbo, Mondays 7-8 pm), Naomi Herback (Jazz for Quantum Cats, Fridays 6-9 am), and Megan Mitchell (Lush Life, Wednesdays 6-9 am). They helped me out a great deal and definitely increased the fun factor. I think we raised $405 in pledges, which is in line with the amount that came in last year, $500. 6-9 am is on the early side for most folks so the pledges tend not to be as high as on other programs; still every bit helps keep CJSW going strong. Many thanks to those who pledged during Breaking the Tethers! More information about the funding drive can be found at http://www.cjsw.com/home.html and http://www.cjsw.com/funding.html.

And now to the track list. As mentioned, less music than normal but I still managed to fit in some good stuff:

"There" - James Brown (Jazz)
"Lonnie's lament" - John Coltrane (Afro-blue impressions)
"Ellis in wonderland" - Herb Ellis (Ellis in wonderland)
"Amber water" - Tom Teasley (Painting time)
"Space odyssey" - Marcus Belgrave (Gemini)
"Mumbo jumbo" - Paul Motian Band (Garden of eden)
"Tom Sawyer" - Bad Plus (Prog)
"Bug" - Norman Howard & Joe Phillips (Burn baby burn)
"Euphoria" - Michael Wolff (Impure thoughts)
"Take five" - Donald Harrison (Real life stories)
"For all we know" - McCoy Tyner (Quartet)
"Peace one" - John McLaughlin (My goals beyond)
"C.A.C." - Albert Ayler Quartet (The Hilversum session)

As this was a special show, I threw in a number of all-time favourites of mine ("Lonnie's lament" from Afro-blue impressions, the first track I ever played on Breaking the Tethers; "Space odyssey"; "Mumbo jumbo" - I can listen to this one over and over and over again; "Tom sawyer" - ah, those crazy Bad Plus guys and their covers; "Peace one"). I've played all of these before and though I try not to repeat tracks and performers too often, I thought it would be appropriate for this show. The setlist will be more back to "normal" (at least more fulsome) next week.

BTW, in the list above the tunes/songs are listed in quotation marks, followed by the performer, with the album from which the track comes in parantheses.

Subsequent posts will feature tracklists from current shows as well as those from the past year and a bit (I have a database set up with detailed information on all the shows I've done). I hope this isn't too confusing but I'd like to "clear the deck" and also provide an easy way for folks to access all track lists from all Breaking the Tethers programs. It will take a while but, eventually, I'll be caught up and all track lists will be online.

Andrew

No comments: