Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 4, 2009

"Introduction" - Dancehall Free For All (9-5 lives)
"Eyi su ngaangaa" - Chopteeth (Afrofunk big band)
"Talk to me" - Avery Sharpe (Extended family)
"The french fiddler" - Oscar Peterson (Trail of dreams)
"Liquor bickering" - Tom Richards Orchestra (Smoke and mirrors)
"Collisions" - Kevin Breit & Jesse Stewart (Collisions)
"Tired corn" - Curt Ramm/Dan Moretti/Bill Cunliffe (Foundations)
"German expressionist cheerleader" - Michael Herring's Vertigo featuring David Binney
(Dark materials)
"As poume" - George Kofogiannakis (Generations: greek oud jazz)
"Think like the waves"- Gordon Grdina/Gary Peacock/Paul Motian (Think like the waves)
"Peter Miller's discovery" - Bill Frisell (Disfarmer)
"Slippery" - Rabnett 5 (Reclamation)
"Monsters over Bangkok" - The Lounge Lizards (Queen of all ears)
"Extra spicy" - Beyond The Pale (Postcards)
"Ghosts/Spirits" - Aaly Trio + Ken Vandermark (Hidden in the stomach)
"Keith Lowe" - Steve Dawson (Telescope)
"Patron Bentley" - Guh (We are sunburning)
"Sensation whereby space" - Carl Maguire's Floriculture (Sided silver solid)
"The spawn of Abe" - MC Maguire (Trash of civilizations)
"Ugly beauty - var V" - Quatuor du Nord (Quatuor du Nord)

I liked this show a lot. Lots of variation, both in time and content, but there were still a few concentrations e.g. there were a number of tracks that leaned in an experimental direction and over half the pieces played qualified as "Canadian"; I don't think I've played that many Canadian tunes and performers in one show before, though I might have come close.

I won't be on the air for next week's show, Tuesday, August 4; I will be on a short vacation. I'm not sure who will be filling in for me but I'm sure they will do a good job. I will be back behind the board on August 11.

BTW, this is the 100th post on the Breaking The Tethers blog.

Andrew

No comments: