Friday, January 18, 2019

January 7, 2019

https://cjsw.com/program/breaking-the-tethers/episode/20190107

For Breaking The Tethers, 2019 started with a "best of 2018" program.  I picked 10 jazz (more or less) records that came out in 2018 and that reached out and grabbed me.  From each of these, I played one track; some of these had been played before on BTT, others not.  In no particular order, the records are:

Chip Wickham - Shamal wind
Forgas Band Phenomena - L'oreille electrique
Various - The thousand incarnations of the rose: American primitive guitar & and banjo (1963-1974)
John Coltrane - Both directions at once: the lost album
Marc Ribot - Songs of resistance, 1942-2018
Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The final tour: the bootleg series, vol. 6
The Nels Cline 4 - Currents, constellations
Soft Machine - Hidden details
Sons of Kemet -Your queen is a reptile
Steve Tibbets - Steve Tibbets

A caveat: I missed some good stuff, I know.  There was loads of good music released last year and this is just a small representative sample.  If I was to compile this list today, I might make some different choices (or I might not).  I also limited my choices to recordings that I'd heard and heard in full. No offence intended to anyone left off this list.

Andrew

No comments: