Wednesday, May 5, 2021

May 3, 2021

Lots of good music played this week, in a variety of styles, as per usual, but perhaps the most striking tracks revolved around interstellar space and the planet Mars. Allow me to explain. I figured this week's show needed to start with a bang. I've had Nels Cline and Gregg Bendian's version of John Coltrane's "Mars" (from their album Interstellar space revisited) on my to-play list for a while. This piece definitely has a kick, to say the least, so I put it on as first song, first set. I think it accomplished its task. For a comparison of sorts, I ended the set with the original version of "Mars", played by Coltrane and Rashied Ali, originally recorded in 1967 but not released until 1974, a track that is no shrinking violet either.

There may be more craziness next week. Join me to find out on Monday, May 10 from 10 to 11 am MT. Go to cjsw.com or 90.9 FM.

Thanks.

Andrew


No comments: