In no particular order, here's my top 10 CD list for 2011. I'm sure I'm missing a few but here's what I can recall.
1. Darius Jones & Matthew Shipp - Cosmic leider
Spooky, eerie alto sax and piano duets. Seriously freaky at times.
2. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness blues
More off-kilter hippie folk. Not quite as their first full-length release but that's usually the case with most 2nd albums.
3. Chris Parrello + Things I Wonder - s/t
4. Turtleboy - Smart matter
5. A Troop Of Echoes - Days in automation
#s 3-5 were deceptively good, growing with each listen and crossing musical boundaries (is it jazz? or rock? or ...?)
6. Grateful Dead - Europe '72, vol. 2
OK, I'm a bit of a deadhead. I didn't pick up the 73-CD set of the complete 1972 European tour but this is a nice addition to the original Europe '72 set.
7. Miles Davis Quintet - Live in Europe 1967: the bootleg series vol. 1
Live recordings of the latter days of the second great Davis quintet.
8. Crumbling Ghost - s/t
UK folk-rock done right.
9. Raoul Bjorkenheim, Bill Laswell, and Morgen Agren - Blixt
Loud, wild instrumental rock/jazz power trio.
10. Richard Thompson featuring Linda Thompson - Live at the BBC
Any RT is good RT.