Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 11, 2008

"Sweet & sour" - Bruno Hebert Trio (Live @ the Cellar)
"The story" - The Matthew Herbert Big Band (There's me and there's you)
"A notice" - Horacio Hernandez (Italuba II)
"You win again (testifyin')" - Chris Greene Quartet (Soul and science 2: electric boogaloo)
"The hollows" - Ralph Towner (Time line)
"Dreaming of Glenisla" - Ken Hyder's Talisker (Wayside sampler 4)
"Friendship suite" - J.J. Johnson (Let's hang out)
"Hippidy hop (drum solo)" - Roy Haynes and the Fountain of Youth Band (Whereas)
"Old devil moon" - Tony Quarrington (Deep river)
"Softly, William, softly" - Dave Brubeck Quartet (London, 1966)
"Too many ties" - Mary Halvorson Trio (Dragon's head)
"Fourth day - plants and trees" - Jan Hammer (The first seven days)
"Omicron" - Morgan Childs Quintet (Time)
"Time has no ending" - The Jazz Crusaders (Old socks, new shoes…New socks, old shoes)
"Heriocredolphysiognomystery" - Gunter Hampel Group (Music from Europe)
"Only the righteous" - Bill King's Rhythm Express (Beat street)
"Almost right" - The Microscopic Septet (Lobster leaps in)
"Danza lucumi" - Bebo Valdez (Bebo)
"Nnuena" - Michael Occhipinti (The Sicilian jazz project)
"Images of us" - George Duke (Dukey treats)
"Yellow submarine" - Franco Ambrosetti (Movies)
"Let me tell you about my day" - Phil Dwyer/Alan Jones/Rodney Whitaker (Let me tell you about my day)
"The peregrine blues" - Don Thompson Quartet (For Kenny Wheeler)

My favourites this week: "The hollows" by Ralph Towner (spooky; should have played it on Halloween); "Softly, William, softly" by Brubeck (I love how he pushes things up a notch or two around the 1:00 left mark); "Too many ties" by Mary Halvorson and trio (I dig messing with the pitch of guitar strings as they are being played); and Franco Ambrosetti's half-crazed take on The Beatles "Yellow submarine".

The last two tracks feature sax player and pianist Phil Dwyer who will be in Calgary for performances this Friday and Saturday. John Reid from the Canadian Music Centre and the Jazz Is Society joined me to talk about the shows (thanks, John!).

I'll be away next week. Marc from the (new) Monday jazz show, Heads Telling Tales, will be filling in for me (thanks, Marc!). I'll be back behind the boards on Tuesday, November 25.

Andrew

No comments: