Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 23, 2008

"Hypnotist" - Simon Legault Quartet (Misrememberings)
"About time" - Paul Bley (Solo piano)
"Black narcissus" - Joe Henderson (Power to the people)
"Ham and cheese" - Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile (Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile)
"One single chord" - Michel Benita featuring Manu Codjia (Ramblin')
"Jupiter" - Rob Mosher's Storytime (The tortoise)
"Humus - the life-exploring force" - Don Cherry (Actions)
"Better git hit in your soul" - Davy Graham (Folk, blues, & beyond…)
"First light" - Medeski, Martin, & Wood (Radiolarians I)
"One nine two six four two dies" - Mary Halvorson Trio (Dragon's head)
"A twisted little etude" - David Benoit (Heroes)
"Scribble town" - The Peggy Lee Band (New code)
"Ogunnde" - John Coltrane (The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording)
"Atari" - Marco Benevento (Invisible baby)
"Arc for puppy" - Mario Pavone (Double tenor quintet)
"November night"- Jim McAuley (The ultimate frog)

I have to admit, I really liked this show. I played some very long tracks, something that has become a bit of feature of the "around Christmas" Breaking The Tethers programs. I also played some favourites of mine, both tracks that have been played before (e.g. "Humus" by Don Cherry; I last played this in August 2006; it's a fantastic piece that goes to some amazing places!) and that have not (e.g. the live and incredibly intense "Ogunde" by Coltrane and "Better git hit in your soul" by the recently-deceased Davy Graham).

On the subject of Coltrane, it's become traditional to play a long Coltrane track at Christmas. Last year, I played "Om". This year, I played "Ogunde". What should I play in 2010? I'm thinking maybe one of the versions of "Ascension" or perhaps "Kulu Se Mama"? Maybe a long track from the Seattle live album? The disembowelment of "Body And Soul" from that recording could fit the bill, as could several of the other tracks. Suggestions are very welcome.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. For those who have time off in the next couple of weeks, have a great break. I will be on the air on December 30 so please join me then.

Andrew

No comments: