Wednesday, July 19, 2023

July 17, 2023

Gonna note three items about this BTT show (I could make many more, of course, but I'll stick with three, for brevity's sake 😁):

*I really dug the starting tune, the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio's version of Curtis Mayfield's "Move on up". It's a fairly well covered song but the Delvon Lamarr group do it in a particularly hard and funky style. Move on up and dance!

*I haven't played Miles Davis in a while (maybe quite a while) so I rectified that situation by playing some Miles Davis, specifically "Lonely fire". "Lonely fire" comes off the odds and ends album released in 1974, Big fun

*A new Frank Zappa album has recently been released, Funky nothingness, which documents 1970 recordings made just post-Hot rats. There's some jazzy stuff on this record so I figured it would be appropriate to feature a track or two on Breaking The Tethers. This week, I played "Halos and arrows". I think I'll play a version of "Chunga's revenge" from Funky nothingness in a few weeks.

I'll be around for the next BTT episode, on Monday, July 24 (10 to 11 am MT, cjsw.com or 90.9 FM) and then I'll be gone for the July 31 program (more on this soon). I'll be back for the August 7 show.

Thanks.

Andrew

No comments: