Monday, February 8, 2010

Changes are coming

Some changes will be happening after this month to both Breaking The Tethers and CJSW. Here's the story:

All of the morning jazz shows, which presently run from 6-9 am, will be going away. I'm not quite sure about this but I believe they will be replaced by an hour of BBC from 6-7 am followed by two hours of a mix of news/spoken word and music. Some of the jazz programs will be moving to hour-long slots in the evening, from 9-10 pm (for example, this includes Philip Barker's program Morning Joy, which will be getting a name change).

Breaking The Tethers will still exist and will be going to 10 am - noon on Mondays. There will be a change to the content featured on the show but a big chunk of the programming (1/4 to 1/3 maybe?) will still be jazz. The rest will be from every other type of music (almost). I envision Breaking The Tethers becoming more of a "dog's breakfast" kind of show, with a fair chunk of jazz.

All of the changes will kick in on the first week of March. This means that the first program of the revamped Breaking The Tethers will be Monday, March 1. This also means that there are just a few programs left of the "old" Breaking The Tethers. In fact, there are just two shows left where I will be the host; I'm going to be away on February 23 so someone else will be behind the board that day.

Here's what I plan to do for the remaining shows (Feb. 9 and Feb. 16). I've got pretty much a full show planned for tomorrow (Feb. 9) but I am leaving Feb. 16 completely open at this point. I may play favourites of mine, I may play highly-requested numbers, I may play a mess of freak-out jazz. One thing that I would like to do on Feb. 16 is to feature listener requests; Breaking The Tethers is definitely continuing on but at a different time and with a somewhat different mandate so if there is anything that you have always wanted to hear on the program, this might be a good time to ask for it. I can't promise that I will play everything requested (a particular request may not be findable) but I will do my best. Feel free to post requests on this blog or give me a call tomorrow 6-9 am MST during Breaking The Tethers (403-220-3991).

Andrew

No comments: