Wednesday, November 22, 2017

November 20, 2017

https://cjsw.com/program/breaking-the-tethers/episode/20171120

Loads of new jazz (and jazz-ish) music has come my way in recent weeks, so much that I'm kinda backlogged with new stuff that I want to play.  Accordingly, I figured it was time for an "all-new" show, which was what this edition of Breaking The Tethers ended up being.  Some notes on a few of the tracks played:

"Echidna's arf (of you)" by the Ed Palermo Big Band - Doo-wop meets doo-bee in a Zappa cover with a great title (I've always liked it but I have no idea what it means!  I should look it up sometime)

"Humility" by Kamasi Washington - I played a track from Washington's 2015 triple-CD realease, The Epic, on the Nov. 13 Breaking The Tethers show, as a lead-in of sorts to "Humility".  Washington's new release is only a mere one CD; "Humility", with a great sax solo, is the best track on this new record (which is called Harmony of difference, BTW).

"She's got to be somewhere" by David Crosby - David Crosby made a Steely Dan record.  Seriously.

The next edition of BTT will be next Monday, November 27, 10-11 am MT, 90.9 fm, www.cjsw.com, usual time, usual place.  I'll be hosting this show but not the next one, on Monday, December 4; Linda Cunningham will be filling in for me that day (thanks in advance, Linda!).  Linda and I are also cooking something up for the December 25 (i.e. Christmas!) program; more on that soon!

Andrew

No comments: