Friday, January 18, 2019

November 5, 2018

https://cjsw.com/program/breaking-the-tethers/episode/20181105

This was fun show to do (aren't they all?!) and one that fell together very well.  I also put a fair amount of time into the construction of this one (not that I slack off normally!), which may explain why it worked out so good.  Here's a few things of note:

*I managed to fit in the complete "As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls" by Metheny and Mays, from the album of the same name.  I'd played Brian Baggett's (shorter) version of this piece the week before so it seemed appropriate to feature the original as well (I'm not sure I had played the original before... maybe a decade ago?)

*There were two versions of Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" on the show, bookmarking a long set of tunes.    There are a surprising and, I think, increasing number of jazz covers of this song out there.

*In the middle of the long set, I featured the revitalized Soft Machine playing their version, in two sections, of the first part of the opus from the Third LP, "Out-bloody-rageous".  One of my all-time fave tunes.  And from a very good new record, Hidden details.  Can't play too much Soft Machine (well, maybe you can... maybe I do?)

Andrew

No comments: