Tuesday, September 22, 2009

September 15, 2009

"Intimate awkward" - Andy Sheppard (Andy Sheppard)
"Snu-fu" - Red Holloway (In the red)
"Pale" - Blast4tet (Sift)
"Lover come back to me" - John Coltrane (Black pearls)
"You can fly" - Brian McCree (Changes in the wind)
"China black" - Klang (Tea music)
"Sode" - Michael Herring's Vertigo Featuring David Binney (Dark materials)
"Loft jazz" - Mike Clark (Blueprints of jazz, vol. 1)
"Django" - Ray Bryant (Montreux '77)
"Jam and eggs" - Looping Jaw Harp Orchestra (Elephant road)
"The preacher" - Jimmy Smith (Hobo flats)
"Theme of the stargazers" - Sun Ra Sextet (At the Village Vanguard)
"Gwyra mi" - Medeski, Martin, & Wood (Radiolarians III)
"La cumpadesky" - Tango Crash (Baila querida)
"Toca loca" - P*P (Toca loca)
"Safari walk" - Teddy Edwards (Mississippi lad)
"Out and about" - John Surman (Way back when)
"Bolivia" - John Stetch (Carpathian blues)
"La arenosa" - Magic Malik (Altiplano)
"The conflict of colour" - David Torkanowsky (Steppin' out)

Another show featuring a number of performers I haven't played before, including Red Holloway (I quite liked "Snu-fu"), Ray Bryant, Teddy Edwards, and David Torkanowsky.

Fave tune this week: "Out and about" by John Surman. I kinda dig that late-60s UK jazz. I wasn't able to listen to the entire CD but I'll have to do that sometime.

I also had a request this week, the first in a few months, I believe. It was a good one: All the caller asked was that I play some Sun Ra of my choosing. Can do gladly, no problem. I picked one of the tunes the Man From Saturn's 1991 recording, At The Village Vanguard, which featured a sextet plucked from the Arkestra (I think it must have been one the last records he released while he was alive but I'm not sure). The track was "Theme of the stargazers".

One last note: The 2009 CJSW funding drive is coming up next month, from October 23-30. CJSW is listener-supported radio so help we can get from our fine listeners is very welcome. Any pledges during the Breaking The Tethers funding drive show (Tuesday, October 27) would be particularly welcome. I'll be posting more information about funding drive week but, to start with, here's a list of 2009 funding drive week events: http://www.cjsw.com/about/news.html?id=94. The logo for the funding drive can be seen on the main CJSW page, centre right bottom.

Andrew

No comments: