Tuesday, December 15, 2009

December 15, 2009

"Battle of the forms" - Chicago Goes West (Chicago goes west)
"My favorite things" - John Coltrane (Afro-blue impressions)
"In your own sweet way" - Terrence Brewer (Groovin' Wes)
"You're my thrill" - Kate McGarry (If less is more… nothing is everything)
"Crossing Sirat" - Wadada Leo Smith (Spiritual dimensions)
"Dewel" - Mulatu Astatke (NewYork-Addis-London: The story of Ethio jazz 1965-1975)
"C jam blues" - Canadian Jazz Quartet (Just friends)
"Tanguillo" - Vince Mendoza/Arif Mardin (Jazzpana - the music)
"Ranjani ranjani" - Karukurichi Arunachalam (Nadhaswaram)
"Alba" - Alvin McQueen (Mighty long way)
"Disco 3000" - Sun Ra (Disco 3000)
"Jingle bells (reprise)" - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Jingle all the way)
"Nightmare" - Yannick Rieu (Spectrum)
"Well tempered choros: shadow flowers" - William Beauvais (Invisible cities)
"The separation of stones" - Dennis Gonzalez New Dallas Sextet (Namesake)
"Captain courageous" - Lester Bowie (African children)
"Finger on the pulse" - Fred Frith (Impur II)
"I've never been in love before" - The Cory Weeds Quintet (Everything's coming up weeds)

A nice mixed bag program, leaning to the more avant/experimental/free side of things. I even snuck in a Christmas tune, though it's a banjo-throat singing version of "Jingle Bells".

This was my last show until Tuesday, January 12, 2010. I will be out of the country for the next three editions of Breaking The Tethers. I'm not sure who will be filling in for me (I believe it will be a variety of folks) but I'm sure they will do a great job. More postings (and music) next year.

Andrew

No comments: