Monday, October 29, 2007

July 25, 2006

The fourth show. I'd lasted a month. Yay!

"Herbildoodlyu"- Hugh Fraser Quintet (In the mean time)
"Brood" - Ernest Dawkins' New Horizons Ensemble (Live at the original Velvet Lounge)
"Sandino" - Charlie Haden and the Liberation Music Orchestra (Dream keeper)
"Rumba for Chano" - Hilario Duran (From the heart)
"Melancholy" - Alvinn Pall Sextet (Ready or not 2)
"Epistrophy" - Theolonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane (Live at Carnegie Hall)
"Tales of Rumi" - Charles Lloyd (Sangam)
"Quiet encephalitics" - Mackrosoft (Antonio's giraffe)
"Slow change" - Bobby Hutcherson (Now!)
"Opposite people" - Follow Follow (Afro groove)
"Green ideas" - Lisa Miller (Q)
"Abstract 3" - Jim Hall (Jim Hall and basses)
"(Theme from) Chariots of fire" - Bad Plus (Suspicious activity?)
"Peace one" - John McLaughlin (My goals beyond)
"Midnight cowboy" - Ben Allison (Cowboy justice)
"Moods in mambo" - Charles Mingus (Epitath)
"Treacle" - Monder/Van Der Schyff/Gestrin (Distance)
"Sneak attack" - Cheebacabra (Exile in the woods)
"Ghosts" - Marc Ribot (Don't blame me)
"Actions for free jazz orchestra" - Krzysztof Penderecki (Actions)
"Small obstacles" - Michael Bates' Outside Sources (Fine balance)
"Peppermint falls" - Kidd Jordan, Hamid Drake, William Parker (Palm of soul)
"Buchmish" - Matt Darriau (Paradox trio)
"Little B's poem" - Joey DeFrancesco (Organic vibes)
"Beloved gift" - Bernie Senensky Trio (Ready or not 2)
"By many names" - Fred Anderson (Timeless)

A fair amount of Canadian and playlist tunes this week (Ready or not 2 is exploited twice for another week). A few favourites make their appearances here, including "Peace one" by John McLaughlin, which I've played at least one since this time.

I also got some phone calls this week, pretty much the first I'd received. Most of them were telling me how to pronounce Krzysztof Penderecki's last name. I still don't think I've got it right but this is a never-ending problem; I regularly pronounce names incorrectly. I've joked on air that if I ever take a wrestling moniker, it should be The Mangler for what I do to jazz performers' names.

No comments: