Tuesday, October 30, 2007

October 30, 2007

Back to normal, more or less. This was the first show after the Funding Drive week. I should again thank everyone who pledged, on my show and on others. I am deeply appreciative of your generosity as is everyone else at CJSW. The donated funds will allow the station to keep presenting the great programming and to grow from that.

Onto the setlist for this week:

"BQE" - D.D. Jackson (Suite for New York)
"What da' funk!" - Greg Chako (Paint a picture, tell a story)
"Solaris I" - Francois Couturier (Nostalghia - Song for Tarkovsky)
"Endemic" - Mike Allen & George McFetridge (Threads)
"Gilmore's hat" - William Parker/Raining On The Moon (Corn meal dance)
"Away from home" - Joel Frahm with Brad Mehldau (Don't explain)
"Passion dance" - McCoy Tyner (Quartet)
"Challenger deep" - Charlie Hunter and Bobby Previte as Groundtruther with John Medeski
(Altitude)
"Everyday living" - Dean McNeill (Prairie fire: large jazz ensemble)
"Feeling good" - Rufus Harley (The pied piper of jazz)
"Acknowledgement" - Turtle Island Quartet (A love supreme: the legacy of John Coltrane)
"Piano concerto #2 in C minor: Movement I - part II" - The Classical Jazz Quartet
(Play Rachmaninov)
"Oh! Love of life" - Healing force (The songs of Albert Ayler)
"Ella Dunham" - Jerrold Dubyk Quartet (The way you see it)
"Recessional (for Oliver Johnson)" - Steve Lacy & John Heward (Recessional (for Oliver Johnson))
"I'll be seeing you" - Bobby Hutcherson (For sentimental reasons)
"Celeste" - Bernie Worrell (Improvisczario)

This week, I was pleased to finally play a piece by Rufus Harley ("Feeling good"). I've played other performers who used bagpipes in a jazz (ish) vein, such as Rare Air and Albert Ayler, but Rufus Harley was the grand master of the "jazz pipes". Now, I just need to find his version of "A love supreme"!

The long track for the day was "Recessional (for Oliver Johnson)", a duo performance (sax and percussion) by the late Steve Lacy and John Heward. I managed to fit in about 30 minutes of the 38 minute performance. I like playing very long tunes every couple of weeks, if only to show the variation in length that you find in jazz. Also, playing a long track allows me to catch up on paperwork and hit the washroom.

Apologies to the Turtle Island Quartet. This morning I kept calling them the Turtle Island String Quartet but there's no "string" in their name; it's Quartet only.

Andrew

No comments: